CottageGrove.net Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» CottageGrove.net » WalMart SUPERSTORE EXPANSION » Walmart

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Walmart
arod
Member # 238

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for arod     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A lot of people in the meetings had their views completely wrong. For them to say that wal-mart associates only make $3.00 an hour they are all on welfare and that they are all slaves is completely ignorant. Many people that are opposed to wal-mart have no factual basis of why they are opposed other than they have a pre misconception of Wal-mart as a big corporation that has the main goal of taking over towns. First of all lets consider Safeway, it isn't just a local little business, there are over 1800 Safeway's in the United States not including Canada I believe we can consider that a "big" corporation that isn't local. Safeway put a Starbucks in their store, and lets think about this for a second... hmmm... If there is a Starbucks in Safeway wont that hurt the local coffee shops in the city of Cottage Grove, so doesn't that mean that Safeway is responsible for hurting the small businesses in Cottage Grove? People will pick and choose what they want to fight about, but the fact of the matter is that over 5,000 citizens of Cottage Grove, which is over half of the population, signed a petition to bring a Super Wal-mart into the town. That is the majority of Cottage Grove, so the people speak and they want lower prices instead of being way over charged by the only 2 grocery stores in Cottage Grove. Why don't we also think about the older people in our community, most older people in our community live on a fixed income, they can't afford to spend hundreds of dollars on groceries when they can get it for much lower prices at a super center, same with the single parent families. By not allowing Wal-mart to expand, it isn't hurting Wal-mart, it is hurting the people in this community. It is hurting families with more than one mouth to feed and having little money to do it. A Wal-mart super center is not going to hurt the small business in this town, if anything it will help. If it brings in more travelers the travelers will see the city more and not just stop at Wal-mart but also stop at the local businesses and diners therefore bringing profit to their business because of Wal-mart. Many opposed to Wal-mart also believe that women are discriminated against, first of all let me just say that their are at least 26 women in management positions versus 8 men in management positions so I guess that sort of speaks for itself now doesn't it. Walmart helps local charities in cottage grove, they allow local groups to do fundraising and also match what the group makes, giving them double profit for their organization, they make several donations throughout the community, not to mention every year they gather a team for Relay For Life to raise money and walk in support of cancer research, they also do Walk for Diabetes. Walmart also has a global awareness team within their store to help promote different ways of making the environment safer and better to live in. Walmart recycles and is constantly thinking of different ways to make a difference. I don't see very many other business in this town doing very much to give back to the community. I think that the people opposed to the expansion in this town are looking at Wal-mart as a whole and not the individual wal-mart in this town, and the good that comes from it, and the difference it makes in our community.
Posts: 1 | From: cottage grove | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
valonthehill
Member # 182

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for valonthehill     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the new Walmart expansion is really terrible for our community! Although it may help bring some prices down at Safeway, it is really going to help all the other local businesses with their cheap China made items taking over our Nation's economy. We need items to manufactured here! That's what is hurting us BADLY. I hope people will still continue to support local businesses that have worked hard to provide good customer support and care vs. this corporate GIANT from hurting out local economy!
Posts: 3 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
valonthehill
Member # 182

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for valonthehill     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
P.S. Too bad we could not get a Market Of Choice back vs. Rays trying to rip us off too! At least we have the Grower's Market at Coiner Park for now!
Posts: 3 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | CottageGrove.net | Privacy Statement

Copyright CottageGrove.net Do not reproduce any portion of this website without permission.